Why is it that we judge someone based solely on what their outward appearance or their outward expressions? The reality is that those first impressions usually stick with us and can continue to form and shape our relationship or interactions with that person. Instead, if we took a few minutes, literally only a few minutes and really asked and REALLY LISTENED to them, we might actually see the truth instead of our scewed, bent, or twisted interpretation of the person we call friend, co-worker, or God forbid family member or close friend. Take a look at your most important relationships and ask yourself if you ASSUME because of past behaviors, actions, or comments made. Does the past shape your present and future interaction with that individual?
I'm not saying that we are wrong all the time about first impressions, not at all. I personally feel that those thoughts are very important when it comes to daily interactions with individuals or groups of people. It's a great defense, but does it get in the way of the real relationships in our lives?
I see what you are saying about first impressions. They can be very handy or crippling. I have misjudged people before and had I not stuck around I would have missed out on some great relationships.
ReplyDelete